In our family, we try to be mindful of how much garbage we create. We are not even close to zero impact, but at around one garbage bag a week for a family of 4, we are doing okay so far. InshaAllah (God willing), we can keep making strides forward.
Here are some things we do to reduce waste:
- Email grocery list to myself
- Use a whiteboard in homeschool instead of scratch paper
- Cloth napkins
- Buy things in bulk (one bigger package instead of many smaller packages)
- Use your own cloth shopping bags
- Email myself to do lists, directions to someone’s house, etc.
And of course, some things to reduce emissions:
- Use high efficiency bulbs
- Open curtains instead of turning on lightsKeep the water heater as low as possible, while still getting it hot enough to clean things
- We actually bought a faux frosted glass window cling to go over our main window in the front so you can’t see inside when we have the curtains open
- The next step we want: get a power strip that will turn off the power outlet to certain electronics! Our receiver/CD player always has lights on, and is such a waste of energy!